Thursday, March 18, 2010

Self-inflicted Labels

I strive for political correctness all of the time. I really do
attempt to be weary of everybody's individual backrounds and
experiences. But there are times, where I will admit, that I am
politically incorrect within my group of friends, especially about my
own identity.

Is it ok for me to to call myself a "fag?" I am really curous... Blog
world, please comment, let me know!

To me, I figure it is like people of African American descent calling
themselves the n word. It's a word, that to them, describes who they
are. They seem to use it in common conversation with other members of
the same identity.

I do not appreciate it when people who are not queer use the word
"fag" in a discriminatory nature. It's hurtful when used in that way.
But between friends, I use the word to describe myself. Am I creating
a double standard here? I know between friends, they know that it is a
joke: slang. It seems as though I am promoting the use of the word and
those who might not be very discerning might hear me use it, deem it
acceptable, and then use and hurt others.

I like saying the word between friends... It's like a joke and they
know it is a joke. I like being able to joke about myself. But am I
promoting the use of the word by others who will use it in hurtful
ways? I fear that I am.

It would be great if we could just ban a list of words and make it a
great offense to use them. Unfortunately that is not possible.

A conundrum. What do you think? Are there any words within your
minority that are socially and politically unacceptable to be used by
others?

Please stay tuned for more stories of this average life.

2 comments:

  1. I believe it has a lot to do with audience. You say you can use it among your friends, but if it were parroted back to you, you would be offended. That's a red flag for something you shouldn't do. Also be aware of who else is around you when you are with said "friends". There are many impressionable people, children included, that might not understand what the word even entails in its use. I know it's strange coming from me, I have a loose tounge for such things, but my input is that if it couldn't be said back to you in the same manner you place it in, its probably best not to empower the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That being said, I personally don't care what you say or how you say it. I am big on freedom of speech like that. If you wanted to staff with a cross on the top of it and point at people, accusing them of homosexuality and sodomy, go do it. (It's already done anyway) I am just glad we live in a country that wouldn't kill you for expressing your feelings in such a way.

    ReplyDelete