Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Colombians and a Privelaged Life

Last year was the first year in college. I started out taking a full
courseload, but still found myself bored. I decided to get a job at
the main cafeteria on campus. I was doing everyting: cashering,
preparing and serving food, cleaning tables and taking out the trash.
Another plus, being the main place on campus where students ate lunch,
I got to see my friends all the time. I would be cleaning tables or
cashering and see a friend and chat for a minute. Like any new job, I
really liked it.

One day I was cleaning tables and came accross somebody in one of my
classes. He is from Colombia and he jokingly said something to me
along the lines of "now you get to see what it is like working like an
immigrant." I did not know what to make of it at the time: I just
shrugged. But to this day, a year and a half later, I am still
thinking about that comment.

Since when does the fact that I am Caucasian mean that I am above
cleaning tables? Just because I am white, do I have too much "pride"
to do that? Just because I am white, do I not understand the
inequality and poor working conditions that immigrants are forced to
work under?

I am above nothing. I need money, I will take any job. I do not have
too much "pride" to do any job. Just because I am white does not mean
I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. If annoys me that people
have that misconception about me. I know that they are making
generalizations about all white people, but as most everybody knows,
I'm not your average Joe.

I understand that I lead a privelaged life. I have amazing friends, an
amazing family, the opportunity to attend one of the best schools on
the nation. But by no means have I ever been entitled to this
lifestyle. I worked hard for it.

I know my friend thought nothing of the comment he made, but the
comment made me think. Generalizations are dangerous.

Please stay tuned for more stories of this average life.

No comments:

Post a Comment