Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What is your Community?

In my Community, Environment and Planning class, we were asked to write an essay answering the question: What is your community? How do you fit in? What is its value to you and others? This is my essay:

My community is a community of self-actualized individuals. I am part of a community of people whom have a very high level of self-confidence, self-worth and have reached their full potential because they have been able to power past social stereotypes and have nothing holding them back. Everybody in this community also has and intense passion for everything they do and act on those passions. Our community is valuable to me because of all of the synergy we have. We each are very motivated which leads to a constructive environment because of the ability to work with people that you can count and rely upon to make a valuable contribution the to the group effort.

I am a part of this community because I have truly found myself and am accepting of who I am. About a month ago, I gained true respect for my identity by completely coming out of the closet. Before this time, I felt as though I was confident in myself and I had true self-worth, but now, there is no comparison between the way I felt then and the way I feel now. Now, I feel incredibly free. I feel like there is nothing holding me back, I don’t have a care in the world. I feel fearless and as though nothing can hurt me. Now that I accept myself, I do not care what others think about me. I am without boundaries. There aren’t any social rules or conventions holding me back any more. I am completely myself. I feel as though everybody in my community of self-actualized individuals is a free of social norms as I am. We do not waste our time worrying about any of the social norms and stereotypes and are able work on issues that are important to us.

Please stay tuned for more stories of this average life.

2 comments: