Friday, September 25, 2009

Cure for Homosexulaity

I was surfing around YouTube, bored, with little to do when I ran across this video, and it got me thinking. The guy in the video posed the question: If there were a cure that any homosexual could take or a program we could go through that would magically make us straight, would we choose to do it and become straight? Here's the link to the video.

First of all, I do not appreciate that he used the word "cure." I know that he didn't mean for that word to be used to infer that since it would require a "cure," that homosexuality is inherently wrong and needs to be fixed, but I wish it to be noted.

I would never choose to be "cured" of my homosexuality. My sexuality has allowed me to have close and intensely sensitive relationships with women because my motivation for talking to them is not to get into their pants, but to appreciate them for their sensitivity and personality. I know that I am making generalizations when I am saying this, because from my personal experience, I have many straight friends who are very sensitive and have deep non-sexual relationships with women, but I believe that the stereotypical average guy and I have differing motivations when talking to women, so I believe that my point has validity.

By being gay, it is much tougher to completely accept yourself because of the religious stigma that casts homosexuality in such a negative light. Because it is so much harder than for straight people, we are better off for it. Being openly gay requires a great deal of self-confidence and strength, and many of us face much strife in reaching the point of complete openness. Because we have to deal with so much adversity, we are much more sensitive to people and their situation. I can only speak for myself, but I feel like I am a very sensitive person who is accepting of everybody, and I feel like I wouldn't be this sensitive and accepting if I weren't gay. My sexuality is not the definition of my life or my personality, but it is a very large part of my identity. I am an environmentalist, an existentialist, a progressive thinker, an optimist, etc. There are many other things that I would prefer to be defined by other than my sexuality, but, my sexuality is still deeply important and an integral part of me.

Another reason why I would never choose to take the straight pill is because I can't imagine ever being sexually attracted to women. Men are gorgeous. I find women attractive and I can see how men, and my lesbian sisters, might appreciate their bodies, but I would prefer to stay as far away from vaginas as possible. They gross me out. I might be more willing to take the straight pill if I could even fathom finding women sexually attractive, but I can't.

Please stay tuned for more stories of this average life.

No comments:

Post a Comment