Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Love for Computer Science

I hate Computer Science. I understand that there is a need for computer science and programming. But why must we force computer programming on people who are doing a completely different major?

Our CSE teacher on our first day of class told all of us that as far as CSE is concerned, about %1 0f students are complete naturals at it. These people have been programming since they were in diapers. These people could teach the class. These people are so insanely good at CSE. The teacher said that there was a second group, another %10 of the class which includes people who CSE comes easy to. No biggie. They actually enjoy doing the assignments. Then there are the other ~%89 of people who need to work really hard to keep up. It is a struggle for them to keep their head above the water. I fear that I am in this last %89.

I am perpetually lost. I only seem to finally grasp a new topic, subject or technique once I've completed the assignment. They need to offer two versions of intro to CSE classes. They need to have a version for people who need to take CSE for their major. A version of CSE that allows you to lean the basics and a much slower rate and have it be taught in a language that normal people can understand and not have impossible expectations for the rapidity of new material. Then they can have a different version of CSE for people who are intending to be CSE or CS majors. Hard. Tough. Fast. They can handle it.

Can I hear an Amen?

Please stay tuned for more stories of this average life.

1 comment:

  1. David,

    I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion. I really hate the fact that the course grading scheme is geared toward the top 11%.

    Grr...

    I am so glad that someone else shares the same perception!

    AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete